Our 2018 Honorees
(Click images to learn more)
Dolly Sandoval and Ed Hoffman met in 1982 at DeAnza College. Ed and Dolly had a deep commitment to both each other and to the improvement of our local community. As young adults, they often volunteered together on housing issues, food security issues, and civil rights to name a few. Their passion was to ensure people in need received services in a timely, dignified and respectful manner. Ed worked on various campaigns and then built a successful career in software sales, becoming the Vice-President of Software Sales prior to his retirement. Dolly taught math at the junior high and high school level and served the community on a variety of non-profit boards (including WVCS 2002-2008). She ran for and was elected to the Cupertino City Council in 2001, and served as mayor in 2008, where she focused on creating policies that have a lasting effect on the betterment of our community.
Ed recently passed away and it is certainly a great loss for the west valley community. It is their passionate desire, their actions and their lifelong commitment to improve our community that we honor today.
Saratoga Foothill Club
The Saratoga Foothill Club is the oldest philanthropic social organization in Saratoga. Founded in 1907 as a women’s study group, they continue to:
* foster and encourage intellectual and civic activities within the Club and in the community,
* promote a spirit of friendliness among its members,
* act as stewards of the historic Julia Morgan-designed clubhouse.
Early members established the first library in Santa Clara County, which led to the current Santa Clara County Library System. During the two world wars, members knitted sweaters and socks and lodged the 31st Field Artillery Headquarters Division in the clubhouse.
The Club raises funds and works diligently to preserve the historic and architectural integrity of the redwood clubhouse, which opened its doors in 1915. Designed by Julia Morgan, the first female architect to be licensed in California, the clubhouse has earned placement in the National Register of Historic Places and the California Register of Historic Resources.
For 111 years the Club has served as a source of support for the surrounding community. Annual scholarships are awarded to local high school and West Valley Community College students. Since 1926 members have organized the annual Memorial Day Observance at Saratoga’s Madronia Cemetery.
Committed to helping those in need, for over 80 years members have provided food items for low-income families and seniors during the holidays. Recently, they have made blankets for Project Linus.
Their partnership with WVCS began in 2015 with donations of food, cash and other items to meet a growing local need in the summer months. Last year they worked with WVCS and St. Joseph’s Church to collect donations for a Thanksgiving food box program.