The Competing Dishes
(Click images to learn more)
Bruschetta over Onion Butter
with Romesco, smoked salt and toasted coriander
• Onion Butter, see recipe
• 1/4-inch slice ciabatta, or similar bread, toasted
• Romesco Sauce, see recipe
• Black beans, drained
• Arugula, chopped small
• Orange bell pepper, small diced
• Yellow bell pepper, small diced
• Marinated mozzarella ball
• Fresh-cracked black pepper
• Smoked salt
• Toasted coriander seeds, ground
Romesco Sauce: 1 (12oz) Roasted red bell peppers, 1 (14.5oz) Roasted tomatoeswith green chilies, 1 Tbls olive oil, 1 Tbls toasted coriander
Chef Joni Sare
ground, 1/2 teas dried oregano, 1/2 teas garlic powder, 1/4 teas celery seed powder, 1/4 teas salt. Drain the red peppers andtomatoes. Blend well with the rest of the ingredients.
Onion Butter: 2 lbs sweet onions, sm diced, 2 Tbls olive oil, Salt - couple pinches, Fresh-cracked black pepper, 1/2 cup hot water, divided; 1/4 teas molasses, 2 Tbls Dry Port; 1/2 cup veggie broth. Caramelize the onions, see notes.The 2nd to last deglazing, add molasses w/1 Tbls water. Allow this to evaporate and the molasses to caramelize the onions. The last deglazing, use the port wine, stir well, remove from pan. In food processor, blend with the broth until nearly pureéd.
Note: (i) For Step One of the “Onion Butter,” use this procedure to caramelize the onions. (ii) For the Romesco Sauce, be sure the coriander seed is well toasted, but not charred. A little bit of charring is okay. And that the toasted seeds are ground to a fine powder. (iii) This is vegan, except for the mozzarella ball.
(1) Spread 1/4 cup onion butter.
(2) Place toasted ciabatta on top.
(3) Top with 1-2 Tbls Romesco.
(4) Top with 1 Tbls black beans.
(5) Top with 1 Tbls arugula.
(6) Top w/1 Tbls mixed bell peppers.
(7) Put a mozzarella ball next to the toast, on the onion butter.
(8) Crack the pepper over all.
(9) Sprinkle the smoked salt and ground toasted coriander over all.
Grilled Plum & Cantaloupe Summer Salad
with chipotle lime dressing and toasted coconut crunch
- fin -
• Chipotle (Purée) 3 fl oz
• Lime Juice Fresh 16 fl oz
• Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar 16 fl oz
• Minced Garlic 1.5 oz
• Honey 10 oz
• Kosher Salt 0.75 oz
• Cilantro (Rough Chop) 1 lbs
• Canola Oil 48 fl oz
• Cipotle Lime Dressing 1 oz
• Mixed greens 2 oz
• Plum (grilled and Halved 1/2 inch dice) 1 oz
• Cantaloupe 1/2 inch dice 1 oz
• Coconut crunch 0.5 oz
• Koser salt 0.25 oz
• Cantaloupe sliced 0.5 oz
• Plum (grilled) sliced 0.5 oz
• Coconut crunch 0.5 oz
Chef Charles Honea
• Shaved Coconut 8 oz
• Pumpkin Seeds 1 lbs
• Sunflower seeds 1 lbs
• Simple Syrup 8 fl oz
(1) Purée the chipotle peppers and adobo
sauce until smooth.
(2) In a clean 8 Qt cambro, combine lime juice, chipotle purée, ricewine vinegar, garlic, honey, rough chopped cilantro and salt.
(3) Using immersion blender mix until well blended about 3 minutes.
(4) Keep immersion blender on while slowly adding oil to emulsify.
(1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
(2) In stainless steel bowl combine shaved coconut, pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and simple syrup.
(3) On a silicone mat lined sheet pan spread out mixture evenly. Bake at 400 degrees for 3-6 minutes or until golden brown.
(4) Set aside to cool then break into pieces.
(1) In stainless steel bowl swirl dressing in a circle to coat the edges of the bowl.
(2) Add mixed greens, diced plum, diced cantaloupe, 1/2 oz cocunut crunch, and kosher salt. Toss gently to evenly coat
(3) On a teardrop bevelled plate, fan out cantaloupe on one end of plate, and plum on the opposite end of the plate.
(4) On the center of plate start buildng the salad in a criss cross pattern to build height saving the heaveir ingredients to top the salad.
(5) Using a spoon drizzle some dressing on the fresh fruit and side of plate. Sprinkle remaining coconut crunch on top
with wild rice pilaf
- fin -
Chef Steve Caposio
• 2lbs boneless skinless breast
• 8-10 fresh baby artichoke-hearts only
• 1/2 lb white mushrooms sliced
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 8 Tbs Olive oil
• Seasoned Flour for dredging
• AP flour for slurry
• Salt & pepper
(1) Slice chicken lengthwise to make thin cutlets
(2) Cut into bite size pieces & dredge in seasoned flour
(3) In a large sauté heat olive oil on medium heat add chicken and cook until light golden brown.
(4) Remove from pan and set aside on paper towel to drain excess oil.
(5) Cut artichoke hearts into 8ths pie shaped pieces.
(6) Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan and 1/2 cup of chicken stock, add artichokes salt and pepper, cover and simmer about 10 minutes, uncover and sauté until stock evaporates and hearts are tender and Caramelized.
(7) Remove from pan and deglaze with remaining stock, retain stock for pan sauce.
(8) Add 2-3 tablespoons oil to pan add sliced mushrooms, salt and pepper.
(9) Sauté on each side until nicely caramelized.
(10) Remove from pan and set aside.
(11) Add stock to pan, reheat add chicken artichokes and mushrooms bring to slight boil add slurry to thicken.
(12) Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over wild rice pilaf.
- fin -
Brown Rice and Carrot Pudding
with grated coconuts and a mixed fruit garnish
• 4 cups Grated Coconut (peel before grating)
• 4 cups Half & Half
• 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
• 1 cup Cooked Brown Rice
• 3 tbsp Sugar (to taste) or Splenda
• 2 oz Roasted Mixed Nuts
• ¼ tsp Cardamom powder
Garnish: Chopped mixed fruits – Apricots, Blueberry, Strawberry, Mango, Apple Streusel with Raisins (Apple Crumble)
(1) Melt the butter, roast the carrots till it gets soft then
add Half & Half and bring it to boil.
(2) Add the cooked brown rice and simmer till it reduces
(3) Add sugar and cardamom, simmer until blended in.
(4) Let it come to room temperature ( it should have a thick
pouring consistency at room temperature).
Chef Vidya Gurikar
(5) Fold in the roasted nuts.
(6) Fill the pudding in a desired cup up to 60%.
(7) Top it with Streusel.
(8) Garnish with berries on top.
(9) Cut a slice of Strawbery to be slid onto the side of cup.